Kingdoms of Elfin - Warner,  Sylvia Townsend I enjoyed [book:Kingdoms of Elfin], a quirky, unusual collection of short stories recounting life among the various kingdoms (queendoms, actually) of Faerie.

Of the sixteen stories, my favorites were:

"The Revolt at Broceliande," which recounts the precarious position of mortal changelings in a fey court.

"The Search for an Ancestress," where a European fairy, Joost, learns how dangerous it can be to return to one's homeland.

"The Occupation," another tale of the dangers of mortal infatuation with Faerie, which can only lead to tragedy - in this case, a trip to Bedlam.

"Foxcastle," another example of man's fundamental incapacity to understand elf, and vice versa.

The elves of these stories are not the un-Fallen Men of Tolkien's Middle Earth nor the "humans with funny ears" who populate far too many fantasy novels. Rather, they're the amoral, soul-less bogies that inhabit the woods and wastes of Medieval Europe. In my experience, the author who most closely captures the otherworldliness & alienness that Warner obtains is Tad Williams in his Memory, Sorrow & Thorn; [book:Shadowmarch]; and [book:The War of the Flowers] novels.