Killing Hope: U.S. Military & CIA Interventions Since World War II - William Blum Killing Hope should be read in tandem with Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes. Legacy is the more polished, unified and better argued account of the internal history of the CIA; Killing Hope is a collection of case studies of the miserable repercussions of the CIA in action -- a relentlessly grim and unjustifiable roll call of murder, rape, torture, subversion of democracy and pointless war.

All the tactics that the second Bush Administration has used openly for the last eight years have been part and parcel of our arsenal to preserve "freedom and liberty" since before the ink dried on our Constitution (at least one gets that from reading Appendix II, which chronicles our CIA and military interventions from 1798 to 1945).

The book is sad commentary on the corruption of power, the hypocrisy of our leaders, and the willful blindness of most Americans, as well as (in terms of practice) how "nonunique" America among the nations of the world.

It also brings home impossibility of being a "patriot" in any meaningful sense. To preserve one's morality, the thinking person has to rise above the petty tribalisms of race, state or ideology and ask "Who suffers?" and "What good comes from destroying the lives of innocents?"

Unfortunately, the only edition my library had brings things up to 1994. I'd like to get my hand on the latest version eventually to get Blum's take on subsequent events.