Mindbridge - Joe Haldeman Mindbridge reads much like a retread of Haldeman's seminal The Forever War:

1. The plot revolves around the miscommunication between humans and another intelligent species, the L'vrai (le vrai = "the truth"?), who bear a strong resemblance to the Taurans of TFW.

2. The quasi-military organization, the AED, that coordinates human space exploration protects its people with a remarkable suit that's a cousin to the suits that protected William and Marygay in TFW.

3. The hero's name, Jacque Lafavre, is also an idiosyncratic spelling - "Jacque" instead of "Jacques"; "Mandella" instead of "Mandala".

4. Carol Wachal is a clone of Marygay Potter, as is her relationship to Jacque.

In 186 pages (my edition), Haldeman brings up a number of ideas - FTL travel, the nature of intelligence and consciousness, and life after death, among others - and a deus ex machina in the form of the titular "mindbridge" without ever exploring or justifying them in a satisfying way.

And the disjointed structure of the novel is a gimmick rather than an interesting way of telling the story.

Haldeman also fails to create a believable relationship between Jacque and Carol. Actually, it's not that I can't believe they fall in love but I don't feel it. The author isn't an empathic writer (apparently a genetic disease common to many hard SF writers).

I would list The Forever War among the top 10 SF novels I've ever read but Haldeman's subsequent writing has been consistently disappointing - Forever Peace and Forever Free, for example - so I can't recommend this novel unless you have a higher opinion of Haldeman's abilities than do I.