The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss It's rare that I can't finish a book. My "readability sense" is usually good enough that I don't pick absolute stinkers. Sad to say, that was not the case this time around -- I managed to hang on until about page 400.

It's not a bad book. Rothfuss writes well enough but I just got bored and I didn't care for any of the characters (it was like reading books 4-9 of Jordan's Wheel of Time series -- talk about getting caught in an endless cycle of reincarnations [shiver]). I understand the need for character development and establishing motivation...but for 600+ pages?

Which is a shame because the author can write and he has an ear for names, which he doesn't always exercise. There are far too many "Basils" and "Jakes" and their like running around. And he does have an annoying tendency to make punning jokes based upon characteristics of the English! language (such as a confusion between "dabble" and "dapple" that is unlikely to occur in a foreign tongue).

Tastes differ (obviously, considering the blurbs on the back of my copy's jacket) so I won't say "thumbs down" to anyone interested in reading the book. And who's to say, perhaps in a few years I'll revisit Rothfuss and find him worth the effort. (It wasn't until college (graduate school, at that) until I appreciated Stephen Donaldson.)