The House on the Borderland - William Hope Hodgson I think Caleb's review (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/220937.The_House_on_the_Borderland) of William Hodgson's The House on the Borderland pretty much sums up what I felt reading this novel. You can easily see the influence Hodgson may have wielded on H.P. Lovecraft's cosmos, where the best humankind can hope for is indifference from the great powers of the universe. What's missing is any breath of "soul." Even if the universe couldn't care less, at the very least the reader should be able to identify with the character or feel some of his fear. That is where Hodgson's work fails. Just read "The Dunwich Horror," "The Thing on the Doorstep," "The Shadow Over Innsmouth," "The Colour Out of Space" or "The Dreams in the Witch House" to see how an author can create that oh-so-necessary sense of terror these stories require.

As an aficionado of Lovecraft, I enjoyed the book as a curiousity but it was overlong and, ultimately, unsatisfying.