Star Wars:  The New Essential Chronology - Daniel  Wallace, Mark Chiarello, Tommy Lee Edwards, John Van Fleet I never went through a Star Wars novels phase in the same way I went through my Star Trek novels phase. I guess part of it was that Star Wars just wasn't as large a part of my fictional universe as Star Trek; and considering what a mess Lucas made of the films after the first one, it never could be.

I do have fond memories, though, of standing in line in 1977 for the original's premiere with dad and the siblings :-)

Novelwise, I've read all the adaptations from the films; I read Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which came out between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back; the arc of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion; and Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books. In the latter case, I really enjoyed the series - I love the character of Grand Admiral Thrawn - but I was frustrated. By rights, Thrawn should have beaten the New Republic. The only way Zahn was able to bring him down was by an unlikely sequence of coincidences that really don't suffer close scrutiny.

Me being me, when I saw that this chronology existed, I had to have it. It covers every novel up to just after the end of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion; it came out before subsequent novels chronicling Jacen Solo's descent into evil.

I have just two observations to make:

1. You'd think that after 25 millennia the Jedi would have come up with ways to strengthen their adepts against Darkside temptations. Reading the chronology, I'm reminded of The Hulk - once you get Banner mad there's no stopping the transformation. Get a Jedi pissed off, and it's a sure bet he'll slip over to the wrong side of the tracks.

2. In the 40 years after the Battle of Yavin, I don't think a single year passes when the New Republic isn't faced with an existential threat that can only be averted by members of the Solo and Skywalker families and a few of their friends.