Eve - Elissa Elliott In Eve: A Novel of the First Woman I was hoping to read a provocative account of the Abrahamic religions' mythical genetrix. Unfortunately, it's a fairly predictable, by-the-numbers, Christian apologia. I will give Elliott points for making Eve's and Adam's succumbing to Lucifer's temptations plausible but all the major characters - Adam, Eve, Abel, Cain, and the daughters Naava, Aya and Dara - are too broadly drawn and are "types" rather than real people. Elliott also can't seem to decide whether the Creation myths are real or not. Adam and Eve awaken in the Garden and do meet Elohim (Elliott's name for God), who claims to have created them, but 20 years or so after the banishment, the struggling family encounters a whole passel of Sumerians building the city of Inanna. People who have been around for generations and already have a highly advanced civilization. The theology is reminiscent of Job: Man is created to glorify God and it's presumption to question his word. As a nonbeliever, the reliance on Christian (and Jewish or Muslim, for that matter) dogma didn't detract from the believability of the novel. What bothered me was the matter above - either accept the Creation as largely true and go from there or resolve how the story was created within the context of the emergence of urban civilizations.

Elliott's not a bad writer, though obviously not an experienced one. I hope her talent grows with any subsequent novels, but I doubt I'll want to read anything else from her pen.