Let Me In - John Ajvide Lindqvist I wasn't quite sure I wanted to write an actual review/reflection about this novel. I didn't "learn" anything from this book (except maybe how not to troll for victims of my or my master's vampiric lusts?), and other reviewers here (and elsewhere) have adequately summarized the story for the interested. But in light of the flood of vampire-themed schlock we've been enduring the last few years...

For those who care - Read this novel. It's very good. It's an example of what a vampire novel can and should be. Lindqvist doesn't shy away from the essentially murderous nature of the vampire and yet creates a tragic and sympathetic character in Eli, and makes her developing relationship with Oskar highly believable (cf., with Bella and Edward). And speaking of Oskar, I liked his more nuanced character than the one depicted in the movie - he's not quite the angelic, put upon "dork." Eli, for example, first meets him as he's fantasizing about murdering his oppressors.

Which is not to say the movie isn't pretty good in it's own right.