Naamah's Kiss - Jacqueline Carey [b:Kushiel's Dart|153008|Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy #1)|Jacqueline Carey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328168291s/153008.jpg|2990010] blew me away when it came out.

Carey showed real verve and talent in exploring the world of Terre d’Ange and Elua’s commandment to “love as thou wilt” with interesting characters and an involving story. There wasn’t quite as much energy in the second trilogy – [b:Kushiel's Scion|153007|Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1)|Jacqueline Carey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344265086s/153007.jpg|39896] et al. – but we were still in Terre d’Ange and I was entertained by the author’s continuing look at the implications of following Elua’s teaching.

Unfortunately, this first book of the new trilogy lacks everything that made the first two interesting.

I’m not going to spend more time dissecting the book because I don’t think it’s worth it. I still want to like Carey – she’s proved that when she has a character and a story she cares about she can write well (I can still vividly recall the scene when Phedre is being skinned alive in the first trilogy) but she has yet to rediscover that Muse.

Unfortunately, I can’t recommend Naamah’s Kiss and I can’t bring myself to continue with the other two books in the series, I have far more interesting things on my shelf, but I will continue to hope that – if she returns to Terre d’Ange – Carey will be able to reignite that passion that flowered in me when I first took up Phedre’s tale.